Monday, June 15, 2009

One Year



Well figure i better get to this now or i wont get to it at all. June 16th 2009 wont mean alot to alot of people. But for me its a anniversary, It marks one year that i made the choice to sell all my belongings and load a suit case with my clothes and take a plane to live in Montana. This was one of the easiest decisions i ever made in my life. I was depressed one year ago. Very depressed a very angry and bitter person about life and what it had dealt me. I was doing things i should not be doing and hanging with people who i should not have been.

I did not want to be angry anymore I wanted to forgive the ones who had done me wrong i wanted to change my life. I had goals for myself that would never be obtainable in the position i had put myself in. I had a list of things i wanted to do. I wanted to move to the country, I wanted to start over and move closer to my roots i wanted to shoot for my dreams that i had always wanted and that i was letting slip away. My dad used to have a few sayings he said over and over to his football players and well of course me. He would always say "If you believe it you can achieve it" and "If you think you can you can, If you think you cant your RIGHT" For the first time in my life i wanted to do something for me and find myself. I knew i could and i knew exactly how to do it and what i wanted.

I can say that i have found myself. I can also say i have never been happier. I have also become a man. I did it on my own terms and had the people around me to help me achieve what i wanted over the last year. They listened to me and my feelings and gave me guidance and ideas. And i am better for it. When i moved here i also made a vow to myself i would be single for one year... Accomplished! I also wrote off sex for one year.... Accomplished! To be honest i thought both of those would be hard and ended up being pretty easy. It helped me grow in ways that i cant explain but it helped me with my self confidence. It also helped me gain my pride back and that i set out to do something and accomplished it. I wanted to move up in target my first job in montana since moving here. I also accomplished that sure i didnt get the first promotion i went for but I did move up and have more opportunities in the future.

Over the last year i can see how much i have grown. How much i have matured and how i have became a better man and have a good head on my shoulders. I still have more goals and dreams for the future. I believe that if you set your mind to having a positive attitude you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. I have tried to be nothing more than positive this last year and it has done me wonders. I try to look at every misfortune as an opportunity to bring me strength and learn from the expirience. Some of the goals i have for the future are to pay off my debts which i have recently been working really hard on. In the next five years i would like to get married and start a family. I know what i do today can make a better life for my family in the future. Having a family has been a dream of mine since i was just a child. I would like to continue to work hard and move my way up the corporate ladder at Target. I know to go as high as i can there i will need a degree. Which is something i may persue in the future. I would also like to possibly try stand up comedy. Cause i mean who else walks around with the whistling smile and the smile farts other than this guy.

The future is unwritten and I look forward to the experiences that will let me fill in those pages. I have a new attitude about life. I love it! I love my family and my true friends. I have done it and you guys all helped me out along the way. I really could not have done it with out you guys. This is the only life you get and a year ago i decided i wanted to live a great one. And that is what i am going to do. Life is to short to dwell on the past. I have learned to persever and become a stronger person. With out any of the experiences i have gone through i would not be who i am today. I may say my misfortunes but in reality they are opportunities, And for that i am a better person. So to those who will listen live this life to the fullest. Cause we only get this one shot. I will end this on a quote that i live my life by. I found it right after i moved to Montana. "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today" James Dean

1 comment:

The Dixon Family! said...

I'm so proud of you Garrett. You sound genuinely happy and I'm glad to see that :) You are amazing and will accomplish whatever you put your mind to. Hang in there when things get tough. Usually that means something great is just around the corner. And one day you're going to make a fabulous husband and Daddy :) Love you G!