Monday, June 22, 2009

More than just a game


Football is something i hold dear to my heart. Alot of people see it nothing more than just a bunch of over hyped meat heads beating on each other. Sure thats probably one of the funnest things about the game. But there is so much more to it, The pagentry that surrounds the game. The time and dedication all the preperation that goes into it. The art of the plays and the Intelligence it takes to memorize the play book from front to back, And how to read coverages. And last but not least the commrodarie, passion and brotherhood of being a football player, past and present.

I can remember nearly every single play of every single game that i was apart of. The big hits, huge runs, and the mistakes. I can visualize what i did wrong on a play and what i could have done to not let it happen again. I remember before my first high school game coach Ernest King asked me in pre- game warm ups ... are you ready? I told him i had been ready for this my whole life. All i ever wanted to do growing up was play in the NFL but than again who hadnt when they were just a boy running around in the back yard, pretending they were the great Emmitt Smith, Dan Marino and the list could go on and on. Some of the greatest things i love about football is the sound of the cleats on the pavement, The lights and the National Anthem before a game. The nerves that were in your stomech hours before a game. By games end you got to see what all your hard work was for and why you play that game you love.

Football has brought a great deal of passion to me and my life. Football isn't just a game its a stepping stone to prepare you for life. It helps you build character. It helps you for taking extreme critiquing about your every move. It helps you learn how to work as a team and how to fight for something you want and be passionate about it. Anyone who has ever strapped on a helmet can understand how it helped them shape them into who they are.

Life is full of ups and downs. Some times you will make a big play and score a touchdown or you can get a turn over and change the pace of your life and take control of whats right in front of you. If you are passionate about something and believe in it you can achieve anything. You can be down on in the trenches in the pouring rain but if you put your heart into it and give it 110% no matter what the outcome is you can say i tried my best and laid it all out there on the field.

There were many times when i wanted to quit football. But my dad would always push me and i hated it. But after a long nights talk the next practice i would go out and tear up people on the field and gain my confidence again. I will never say that i did not need that push, because sometimes in life thats exactly what we need is to have a fire lit under our ass. The great game of football has tought me so much about myself and how to work hard for everything i have. How to be passionate about things that i care about and to always dream big. This life is to short to live with a loss from last week its in the past now its time to prepare for the next big thing that we have infront of us. #44

1 comment:

Oo La La Boutique said...

This was really, really good G. You know you kinda write like Dad. You use big words! lol I think you're super smart. I really liked this one... you should keep writing! You're very motivational. And one of my best memories growing up was going to your football games. :) You know I was always your biggest cheerleader! haha Love you- Garrett's sister ;)